The Dar al-Ma`mûn Foundation
The Fellah Hotel is a place for artists, intellectuals and art lovers to meet and share their work. This unique hotel provides their guests and visitors with the opportunity of attending to workshops, conferences and introductory sessions to contemporary art. In the hotels facilities you will discover the the Dar-al Ma`mûn, which is an international art residency center for artists and literary translators. Being the leading cultural center in Morocco and in North-Africa it`s main objective is to unite the independent Arab art scene across Morocco and the Middle East. However, they are also glad to share their work with anyone that has a particular interest in enjoying it. Therefore they will also provide cultural guided tours for all of those who would like to experience the Moroccan arts. The culture that the Dar al-Ma`mûn stands for is research in the fields of visual arts, literature, philosophy and the humanities. The whole residence is based on the idea that culture is one of the most powerful tools of understanding the world and its complexity.
This cultural platform was originally built to give support to the emerging artists. Through its various activities the foundation provides intercultural exchanges which provide local economic development. Dar al-Ma`mûn is positioned as an outstanding centre nowadays in Morocco, as it represents a point of acces to current international creation. The Dar al-Ma`mûn has been awarded with the UNESCO Ashberg Label and was also mandated in 2012 to locally administer the program of diplomacy through culture “smARTpower” by the U.S. Secretary of State.
Welcomes every year 15 – 20 artists from all around the world for 3 to 5 months sessions, with 6 artists in resident at any time. The artists are available to assist guests with their artistic endeavours and generally assist them in developing their techniques.
With the support of LWB (Libraries Without Borders), the library organizes public readings for adults and children from the surrounding villages. Today, it has 10 000 books, which 3000 are books for young people.
Highlighting arab genres texts, the library`s current work focuses on the field of philosophy and history of art in conjunction with the artists residency.
The “Art Discovery Package”
Presentation of the actual art scene and focus on the international art news.
- 09:00 am – Discussion of the international art news, from biennials to contemporary art fairs.
- 10:30 am – Discussion with the representing artists from Morocco and the Arab world.
- 12:00 pm – Lunch
- 14:00 pm – Roundtable with intellectuals and artists “How artists express through art” followed by a discussion on the same subject.
- Dinner with the artists, projection of a film + film analysis following the screening.
- 09:00 am – “Outside the walls discovery”
- Initiation program. (Most of the day)
- Visit of cultural places in Marrakesh.
- Dinner with the artists.
- Introduction to Arab architecture (visit riads, monuments…Guided by professionals).
- 10:00 am – “Text Reading”: Arabic poetry and philosophy followed by a discussion in the Dar al-Ma`mûn library.
- 12:00 pm – Lunch
- Departure to the airport.
Fellah Art & Travel Package Rates
- For 1 Person: from 1400€*
- For 2 persons: from 2150€*
* Prices for superior room / full pension from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon / drinks not included